Saturday, January 5, 2008

A Dark 2008

New Year's Eve was a blast at Paul's house! Awesome food (I ate way too much!), fun games (I won one!) and great people.

New Year's Day, however, left a lot to be desired-- and I hope it wasn't a sign. We stayed the night at Paul's house and returned home on the first day of January at around 11:00 a.m. Hungover, I decided that a nap would do. I slept until about 2:00 when I realized that my little space heater was no longer on. I thought maybe Dave turned it off until I saw that the clock was also off.

"Did our power go out?"

"Yes."

I went back to bed. So much for the laundry. Ah! But my laptop battery is full! I get up, go downstairs to the dining room (where I have temporary office set up until I get a new desk for the office) and turned it on. Ooops. The wireless router, which is hooked to Dave's desktop, needs power to work. So, I had no internet. I went back to bed. Dave was reading some magazines, but once it got dark around 4ish, I guess he zonked out too.

We had all the candles in the house lit and were able to use the new flashlight Dave got for Christmas. But we were so bored. And hungry. We had virtually no snacks- only marshmallows left over from our summer party and crackers. We're trying to avoid snacks. Now, we needed them for survival! Everything we had required cooking, or water. Or something.

"I wonder what this will be like at the end of the world," Dave said.

Later he said, "I bet this is how some people live all the time since they dont' pay their electric bill...."

Neither one of us wanted to go out for dinner. We partied the night before and were unable to shower. Had we known the power would go out at 2:00, we'd have planned ahead.

The lights came on a little after 11:00 p.m.

All we had on New Year's Day was our imaginations and each other. I guess it wasn't so bad after all. Just very dark.

No comments: