Monday, June 9, 2008

Being so good you get noticed-- and being a teenager agin

I was tanning today. Fake tanning in the fake sun. I was the only poor soul who opted to lay between two plastic pockets of ultraviolet lights to get even hotter than the scorching heat outside-- I mean it-- the tanning salon was a ghost town.

But, as I was laying there, sweating but turning more golden, I was listening to Charlie Daniels, The Devil Went Down to Georgia. I don't know if my tapping my hands and feet will affect the amount of fake sun my pale skin absorbed, but I was playing along. I got to thinking how I saw The Charlie Daniels Band live at the F.M. Kirby Center in Wilkes-Barre several years ago. It was one of the best shows I've been to- this guy can fucking play. He had a fiddle tech who brought out a new bow after nearly every song- he tore the thing to shreds he played with such heart and emotion. So as I lay there naked (but I accidentally left my socks on) listening to Charlie Daniels, I thought he must be the best fiddle player ever. And then I thought about how Charlie Daniels was getting old and that made me sad to know that in a few years, he may not be here. But then I got happy again because he did something THAT well, that everyone knew him for it.

I got to thinking how great it must feel to be THAT good at something that EVERYONE knows who you are. I meet a lot of people who are good at what they do-- but that's just it. Me and a few others know what they excel it. A local karaoke bar may know how good a person can sing. A local restaurant may be known for a chef who makes the best desserts. A local high school team may have a great track star--- but why does talent always have to be confined? I know that not everyone will be famous or make it big or move on from their hometowns-- but it is cool to know that if you want it, you can make it happen. Imagine everyone- aside from your mom and dad- knowing what you were made to do? Imagine being THAT good at something that everyone knows you for it. Like Charlie Daniels and his fiddle.

*****
I had the greatest weekend. Seriously. Invigorating is the best word to describe it. I won't get into details here on a public blog. But, I felt like a rebellious teenager again. I am nearing 30. In a month and six days I'll be 11 years older than the teenager I once was. But this weekend, with a gang of friends I was more youthful than I have been in a long time. It felt nice this weekend to be brave, uninhibited and free.... ah....

I did journal about it... so perhaps it will be in Memoir #2 since the first one is about childhood.

Cheers,
Donna

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Come on, Donna, quit sniveling about being 30. Besides the fact that you hardly look that old, I am over twice your age so sympathy is in short supply from here.

And posting details about your sex/drug/rock'n'roll life is certainly welcome as far as I am concerned. :)

"A local high school team may have a great track star--- but why does talent always have to be confined?" I didn't understand your point but from what I understand, the answer is "Because it's high school, not real life.".

Charlie and other famous people did something for the world which was appreciated and they were venerated for it. Being an adolescent hero doesn't effect the world. Unless you are an enterprising geek.