Wednesday, July 25, 2007

3:00 Reboot, NPR and Other Things

Hi All! Haven't blogged in a few days, so here are some random updates and thoughts.

Every day just around 3:00 p.m. by computer at work goes nuts and I have to reboot. It is usually around this time that I realize that I, myself could also use a reboot. So, 3:00-ish has officially been designated as my rebooting period. I restart my computer and then go to the break room to grab a (hopefully sugar-free) Red Bull.

While I am in the subject of work, I love my new job and company. What cool people! I get to talk to some cool folks around the nation all day long!

SUPPORT NPR- Summer Pledge Drive
I renewed my membership to WVIA-FM yesterday afternoon. I cannot tell you how much I love NPR's Morning Edition, All Things Considered and Fresh Air, and additionally my local station's evening programming by George Graham. While I like classic rock and some contemporary rock and country, I've been growing tired of the same-old, same-old, so I listen to George Graham whenever I can-- I am not that into jazz, which is the first part of his show. But later in the evening he features music you don't hear anywhere else-- world music, folk, blues, local stuff-- just some really, really great stuff. I won't knock commerical radio because I worked in it for a long time, but man-- is this good shit!! There is something very special about public radion.

Regarding the news programming- I subscribe to the paper and read various things online each day and I watch the local news a few times per week. But nothing digs as deep and spends more time on individual stories than NPR. I feel smarter and more informed since I began listening daily about six months ago. It's good, good stuff. I learn so much! My particular favorite feature is a year-long reporting featuring NPR is doing with National Geographic on climate change-- they are traveling the globe interviewing people that are affected... And-- Fresh Air--- Terri Gross does some amazing interview with people in arts and entertainment, or newsmakers everyday from 6:00-7:00-- so many interesting things.

I encourage everyone local to donate to WVIA, or if you are not local, to NPR directly-- I am sure your local NPR station is also in the middle of their pledge drive.

COMMITTED TO THE ARTS
On a personal note, there have been some things on my mind lately. I have been wrestling internally with some things... mainly one choice. If you've been keeping up with my blog, you are probably noticing that I am thrilled about the MA in creative writing and my rejuvenation with writing in general. This is something I need to do, and devote my full-attention to, minus my time at my job. There have been lots of new beginnings for me this summer with a new job and this master's program. All that said, I am not going to get into personal details here, but you can read between the lines I am sure.....

I am on the waiting list for an apartment in downtown Wilkes-Barre. I need to be closer to my job and I need some time alone to writer. I am happy. That's what matters right now.

Life is good. I am enjoying a rather strong White Russian (I couldn't find a shot glass to measure the Absolut. Oops!) I made a committment with some classmates to have 100 pages of a novel done by January-- gonna hop over and try to get started on that!

DREAMS & SLEEP
I started an Amazon.com store selling dream journals, dream dictionaries, sleep aids, etc. Visit it at http://www.thedreamdrawer.com/.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/225148/what_is_psychic_dreamwalking.html
That is a link to one of my archived articles at Associated Content.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Devotion to your craft is good.
We've got WHYY down here, but the best thing about upgrading to Sirius Satellite Radio was that there are four or five Public Radio stations. NPR RULES.
Good luck with the move. I expect big things!

John Dawe said...

:-) You love your new company? Too bad ... your'e fired!! No not really... woo hoo

now a post about sysadmin days and how 500,000 people read your article in one day?

Query-A-Day said...

Thanks, John Dawe!!