Monday, October 15, 2007

Sweet Nostalgia. Literally.

**updated 10/24/07- I had the link to the site wrong- if you are revisiting this post, please try the candy link again!

As I am writing this, I am chewing on something that I haven't chewed on in FOREVER.

Teaberry gum.

And it is yummy. And, I think it still sells for .25 a pack.

I have to thank Candy Pam from the Blair Candy Company in Altoona, PA for this nostaligic taste trek I am on right now. Check out her site at: http://www.blaircandy.com/ as she sells lots of classic candies- including of course Clark's Teabrry gum.

I had the chance to meet Pam at our Boot Camp last week when our clients camp to town to learn all about ecommerce. She was one of those who made the trek- and she came bearing gifts. I just tore into my candy baggie today and am glad I did. Mmmmm. Teaberry rocks.
What is teaberry? Well, it is actually an endangered plant in some parts, like Illinois. But the Eastern Teaberry plant (or, Gaultheria procumbens) is an American Wintergreen plant, which produces berries. According to http://www.wildflower.org/:
"This leathery semi-woody aromatic perennial has creeping underground stems thus forming small colonies of plants. Showy red fruits may persist through the winter. The genus was named for Dr. Gaultier a Canadian physician of the mid-18th century. Teaberry extract is used to flavor teas candies medicines and chewing gum. "
And according to the very reliable soure, Wikipedia the D.L. Clark Company based in Buffalo, New York began making the teaberry gum in the 60s. The gum is still made in Mexico.

No comments: