Saturday, October 20, 2007

Upsetting Things in the Side of the Road

A week or so ago, I was saddened by something I saw on the side of the road. As I got off Exit 2 of the Cross Valley en route to work, I saw a dead cat on the side of the road. It looked like Morris the cat- an orange sherbet color cat- orange and white. I am a cat lover and being that this exit was close to some backyards of a neighborhood, I was sure that some pet owner was devastated.

Each day, as I drove to work I saw the cat. But thanks to scavengers, like crows this poor cat was being picked at. It had rained as well, so the whole cat I saw the first day was now a dwindling pile of fur. After a week, I didn't look to my left because I didn't want to start crying. I get too sentimental sometimes.

This week, the Lake-Lehman School District teacher strike is in full-swing. Each day on the way to work, I pass this rural high school school. Once again, I was saddened by something on the side of the road. I refuse to make eye contact at these people that are holding expensive coffees in one had and a protest sign in another. I think of how much I loved high school and how I would have hated to see the teachers I looked up to doing something like this. How can they not think of their students and the things that made them want to be a teacher in the first place?

Gosh- if they want better benefits the should just quit working and go on public assistance. I guess either way, the taxpayers lose.

No comments: